Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Watch Me!

(Source Unknown)

An only child, my grandson does not like to play alone. “Watch me, Daddy!” he says as he mimics the moves and posturing of his current heroes, whether cowboys or professional wrestlers. “Watch me play my game, Meme,” he tells me when he plays video games. I suppose his imaginary scenarios are more rewarding when observed by someone else. So we watch him play and applaud his achievements as we watch him grow. We watch him while all the while he is watching us, his real heroes and role models. Without realizing it, he is absorbing our values, our character, and the way we live our lives. Do we really grasp the extent of our impact on our children and grandchildren? If we want them to grow up to be men and women of faith and integrity, we have to show them what that looks like. We have to be the kind of person we want them to be. If we can’t feel good about saying, “Watch me!” we need to make some changes in our lives. This isn’t a game, but a matter of eternal life.
“Just make sure you stay alert. Keep close watch over yourselves. Don't forget anything of what you've seen. Don't let your heart wander off. Stay vigilant as long as you live. Teach what you've seen and heard to your children and grandchildren.” (Deuteronomy 4:7, The Message)
By Hazel King
© 2009
Hazel811@embarqmail.com

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. As a new parent I find my self listening to the radio or watching a movie and realizing I don't want Sara to hear or see this. That deffinately makes me stop and think do I really need to listen or watch it either. I just keep reminding myself junk in junk out.

    ReplyDelete