Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Love is a Verb


1 Corinthians 13:13
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
"I Love You." How often we say and hear those words. We use that word Love to describe a lot of things...I love ice cream, baseball, pizza. In the Greek language there are several words use for Love. The one we are striving for is "Agape" Now there are several definitions for that word but recently I read a quote by Thomas Merton that summed it up nicely.
"Love seeks one thing only: the good of the one loved."
Read it again and let it sink in. Many say I love you but their actions will always outweigh their words. The tone we use with people, the patience we show towards them, the action we use to express our love. These things speak so loudly. You may say well I bought a card or flowers or took my spouse to dinner. If that is how you define and interpret love it is NOT ENOUGH. Love is not an emotion it is an act of the will. Jesus shows us that. Children sometimes show it best. Unconditional unselfish love from pure motives. Express your love today for others not in words but actions. Having a hard time figuring out what to do? Good. Maybe it is something we are supposed to think about for a while. Don't you just LOVE that?

1 comment:

  1. this video was very touching. I have had many trials with my beautiful son , but this really shows us what trials really are. Thank you for the reminder to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete