Thursday, August 6, 2009

Keep Asking Good Questions

Proverbs 4:1-2
Listen, friends, to some fatherly advice; sit up and take notice so you'll know how to live.I'm giving you good counsel; don't let it go in one ear and out the other.

It is not enough to think we have all the right answers. It is important to keep asking the right questions. I remember when I used to teach I would ask the students if they liked opera, or ballet. many times they would quickly respond NO. Then I would ask how many operas they had heard or ballets they had seen. I was surprised to learn that most of the time they had not experienced either. I suggested to them that they attend a couple of operas and ballets so they could make more of an informed statement concerning both.

Many people treat God the same way. They make all sorts of uninformed statements without ever having any experience with God. I would suggest to them that they explore the idea. Read the Bible, attend a few church services, interact with some Christians and then make more of an informed decision. To be wrong about Opera or Ballet is one thing but to be wrong about God is something else entirely with eternal consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment