Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Check the Expiration Date


Ecclesiastes 12:6-8
Remember Him before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the well is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed;
7then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.
8"Vanity of vanities," says the Preacher, "all is vanity!"
My wife is a stickler for checking expiration dates. If it is in our house and that date arrives out it goes. Being a man I always feel like there is a grace period with expiration dates. I think it's probably still good for another couple of weeks. Now I don't mean to be morbid but we all have an expiration date. I wonder what it would be like if we had it stamped on us somewhere. Would it change the way we live? The versus that I used today from Ecclesiastes are very poetic but the bare bones translation is... You are going to die. Guaranteed. There are not many 100% guarantees but you can bank on this one. One out of one die. Not maybe, not possibly, but absolutely. Knowing this should we not make preparations for that day? I don't mean funeral arrangements or getting the will in order. I mean making a decision about Christ. That one decision determines where we spend all eternity and yet people put it off until it's too late. I noticed this morning in the headlines Patrick Swayze's expiration date arrived. I hope he was ready for that. He certainly knew it was coming. What if the expiration date angel is checking dates today and finds mine is up, I am ready. I hope you are ready too. But, if you are not I would get in touch with someone today that could help you. If you don't know anyone contact me. I will drop what I am doing and make sure you are ready also. Who knows we might be living in that Grace period I referred to.

No comments:

Post a Comment